Imagine you are with some of your friends. Perhaps you’ve heard this type conversation before as two of your friends are chatting about their diets. The first one says, “I want to be healthy and feel great.” The second one says, “I intend to be healthy and feel great.”
Which one do you think is going to get health and feel great? Of course, the friend who intends it!!!
Wanting is simply wishing you can have or do a particular thing. Intending means you’re committed to achieving something by making a plan for success and sticking to it!
The Fuel for Desired Results
The key to intention is action – try this to build your intention muscle:
- Get clear on what you want. Create a vision board by gathering images and words that pertain to your goal, and gluing them onto a large piece of construction paper, tag board, or like I’ve done, using a canvas. Hang the collage in a spot where you’ll see it often. You can also use an online service like Pinterest to create a digital vision board, but I think it’s more creative to be hands on and design your own.
- Do something to make your desire happen. Let’s say you want to eat four servings of vegetables a day. Your first action may be to go to a farmers’ market and purchase a few veggies you can cook for dinner.
- Celebrate your achievement! Don’t forget to congratulate yourself for meeting your goal.
How to Have a Great Day…Everyday!
Did you know that you can set an intention to have a great day?
Rather than diving into your morning and hoping you’ll achieve your day’s big goal, why not take a moment a set yourself up for success?
Try this “Setting An Intention to Succeed” exercise used by professional athletes, speakers, politicians, and performers:
- Upon waking, lie in bed and think about what you have planned for your day (or, find a quiet spot to sit and contemplate).
- Think about your desired outcome. Take a deep breath and visualize yourself succeeding.
- Replay your success several times in your mind.
- Next, add other senses, including sounds, smells, and touch. For instance, as you replay your success, you now also hear the director offering you the gig, or you feel the physical sensation of your finger hitting the “send” button on your latest assignment.
- Lastly, replay the scene again, adding emotions. Feel your elation at getting the part, or your pride at finally finishing your work.
You can perform An Intention to Succeed, throughout the day as desired.
GET EVEN HEALTHIER!
Do you intend to lose weight, eat healthy, and feel fantastic? Make a plan to succeed by getting the support you need! As a Health Coach, I specialize in helping people make their own healthy changes. Ready to get started? Schedule a Discovery Call today – or pass this information on to someone you care about!